CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Sauerbraten


This may not sound very appetizing, but it is my favorite dish. Since I was a little girl, I would ask for this every birthday dinner. My husband likes it as well, and my four year old son requests this every night for dinner.

1-1 1/2 lbs. round steak
1 Tbsp salad oil
1 envelope brown gravy mix
2 cups water
1 Tbsp instant minced onion
2 Tbsp white vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Noodles - Hot and buttered (I usually use the curly noodles)

I usually try to find a thin cut round steak. Just makes a little more tender. Any will work though. Slice the round steak thinly. Brown the meat in a large skillet in salad oil. Once browned, remove and set aside. Mix the brown gravy mix with 2 cups cool water. I usually add about 1 Tbsp cornstarch to thicken. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Stir in remaining ingredients except noodles. Return the meat to the mixture, cover and simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Serve over hot buttered noodles.

*I sometimes double the sauce...just depends on how much sauce you like on your food.

3 comments:

Kristin B. said...

Grandma Perry's recipe! One of my favorites!!

Rach said...

Where do you find salad oil?

Kristin B. said...

Was your question already answered? If not, it's just canola, vegetable oil, whatever.